Writings and Publications
My writings on technology, teaching and learning are generally known for their strategic and practical value. As a regular contributor to the Syllabus Magazine (now Campus Technology) for over 15 years during the early years of online learning, many seminal topics have been revisited over the years. Also, I have had the pleasure of working with many colleagues, editing and writing publications for many higher education organizations including EDUCAUSE, SCUP, the League for Innovation and Information Science References.
Start here — Most comprehensive
This section features the most recent edition of the Online Teaching Survival Guide and the library of tips.
- Boettcher, J. V., & Conrad, R.-M. (2021). The Online Teaching Survival Guide: Simple and Practical Pedagogical Tips (3 ed.). San Francisco, CA Jossey-Bass.
- Boettcher, J. V. (2006-2018). Library of eCoaching Tips Retrieved from http://designingforlearning.info/ecoachingtips/
Recent work, service, webinars
- Boettcher, J. V. (2018) Designing Online Experiences for Learners Podcast Episode 189 B. Stachowiak (Producer). ( January 25 2018 ). [Retrieved from https://teachinginhighered.com/podcast/designing-online-experiences-learners/
- Webinar and workshop for faculty at Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences Kansas City, MO – 2018
- Webinar series for faculty at The Australian College of Physical Education – 2017
- Boettcher, J. V. (2018). Meaningful and growth-oriented strategies for assessing learning In J. S. Etim (Ed.), Teaching Strategies: Perspectives, Challenges and Outcomes. Hauppauge, New York: Nova Science Publishers. (In press)
- Guest speaker at Distance learning courses at Purdue (2015-2017)
- Member of review board for The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning (IRRODL) journal
- Member of review board for Campus Technology Impact awards
- Consultant for ACUE –The Association of College and University Educators (ACUE)
Most referenced writings
- Boettcher, J. V. (2006-2022). Ten Best Practices for Teaching Online: Quick Guide for New Online faculty.
- Boettcher, J. V. (2011). Evidence of Learning Online: Assessment Beyond The Paper. Campus Technology.
- Rogers, P. L., Berg, G. A., Boettcher, J. V., Howard, C., Justice, L., & Schenk, K. D. (2009). Encyclopedia of Distance Learning, Second Edition (4 Volumes). Hershey PA: IGI Global
- Boettcher, Judith V. (2007) Ten Core Principles for Designing Effective Learning Environments: Insights from Brain Research and Pedagogical Theory. Innovate: Journal of Online Education: Vol. 3: Iss. 3 , Article 2. Available at: https://nsuworks.nova.edu/innovate/vol3/iss3/2
Boettcher, Judith V. (2003). Designing for Learning: The Pursuit of Well-Structured Content. Campus Technology. Syllabus Magazine 16, January, 2003.
Boettcher, J. V., & Conrad, R. M. (2004). Faculty Guide for Moving Teaching and Learning to the Web (2nd ed.). Phoenix, AZ: League for Innovation. Note: the full text of first edition in 1999 is available at https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED437985.pdf.
Online Development Time and Costs
Here are some of the resources addressing the costs involved in redesigning courses for the online environment. Some of these have been published; others are simply unpublished works designed for helping to plan projects.
- Boettcher, J. V. (2000). How Much Does it Cost to Put a Course Online? It all Depends. In M. J. Finkelstein, C. Frances, F. I. Jewett, & B. W. Scholz (Eds.), Dollars, Distance, and Online Education: The New Economics of College Teaching and Learning (pp. pp. 172-197). Phoenix, AZ: American Council on Education/Oryx Press.
- Development Time, Costs and Instructional Design of a Web Course
- Countdown Guide for Planning Online/Distance Degrees
- Boettcher, J. V. (2004) Online Course Development: What Does It Cost? Syllabus (Now Campus Technology) 17.
- How Much Does It Cost to Develop a Distance Learning Course?
Early Writings for Faculty Teaching Online
Here are some of my early writings on moving teaching and learning to the web/or as we now like to say, to the online environment. These writings and slide shows were designed to help faculty and staff think about the new way of teaching and learning.
- Sherron, G. T., & Boettcher, J. V. (1997). Distance learning: The shift to interactivity. CAUSE Professional Paper Series, 17, 40. Retrieved from https://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/PUB3017.pdf
- Boettcher, J. V. (1997, October, 1997). Communicating in the Tower of WWWebble. Syllabus, Vol. 11, No. 3, 44, 46-47,61.
- Boettcher, J. V., & Conrad, R. M. (1997, June 1997). Distance Learning : A Faculty FAQ. Syllabus, Vol. 10, 14-17; 54.
- Boettcher, J. V. (1998). Let’s Boldly Go… to the Education Holodeck. Syllabus, Vol.11, 18 – 22.
- Boettcher, J. V. (1998, August, 1998). How Many Students Are “Just Right” in a Web Course? Syllabus, 12, 45 – 49.Boettcher, J. V. (1999) Another Look at the Tower of WWWebble. Syllabus, 13 (3), 50-52.
- Boettcher, J. V. (1997, November/December, 1997). The Dangers and Pitfalls of Communicating with Students or What NOT to do When Communicating with Students on the Internet. Syllabus, Vol. 11, No. 4.
- Boettcher, Judith (1999) 21st Century Teaching and Learning Patterns: What Will We See?
- Boettcher, Judith and Kumar, M. S. Vijay The Other Infrastructure: Distance Education’s Digital Plant
- Boettcher, Judith. Instructional Design in a Nutshell
- Boettcher, Judith What is Meaningful Learning? From Bits and Bytes to Knowledge and Skills in 15 Weeks…
- Boettcher, Judith (1998) Taking Off with Distance Learning
- Boettcher, Judith Course Management Systems and Learning Principles, Getting to Know Each Other [PDF]
- Boettcher, Judith and Cabot, Linda (1998) Supporting Information Technology Professionals – Virtually [PDF]
- Conrad, Rita-Marie Save Yourself from Drowning in Online Interaction
- Sept 1997 — The Beginning of the Tales: Issues in Distance Learning: This presentation is a compilation of a number of presentations in 1996-97 for faculty and administrators on reconceptualizing Distance and Online Learning. Note: This was very early in the shift and adoption of online learning.
- Boettcher, Judith & Fell, Susan (1997). Turning the University Inside-Out: Launching Distance Learning Presented at ICDE Meeting, June 1997, Penn State University